Monday 26 October 2009

Cushioned




Lengthy periods of unofficial unemployment/underemployment seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life this year. I have the kind of job where one week they can't get enough of me, and the next week they tell me they'll 'call' me when they need me next. Which sometimes isn't for three weeks. Financially, it is rather irksome, but in truth I wish I didn't enjoy it quite so much. Maybe then I'd find a new job. My housemate, KC, said to me the other day: "I think that maybe you're just not supposed to work." I think she's definitely right, the employment gods are clearly urging me elsewhere. I just don't know where yet.

I did not make Mr Rabbit, only the cushion against which he is nestled.

Perhaps I shall be a cushion maker. I have made not one, but four (!) cushions on a real sewing machine using my own hands over the last couple of weeks. Some of them even have zippers, although I soon realised that such feats of manchesterial dexterity are better left to more experienced sewers.

Those last three cushions were easy. But this one took months to make. I'm not even sure if I even like the colours anymore. Instructions to make one of yer own are here. And yes, that is Elvis's chin up there. Isn't he darling?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I like the cushion with the puffy things. Do the other two have doilies stitched onto them? I am on the lookout for some nice large doilies to cover the entire front of cushions with. I got the idea from Hannah and Landon's blog- I spied in a photo that they have really nice crocheted bed pillow covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't take credit for the pillowslips, I bought them from www.etsy.com/shop/maramiki. The design has been screen printed onto a lovely soft linen.

    It's so weird you should mention the dollies, I'm actually working on some dollied cushions right as we speak! I'm planning on dying the dollies royal blue, but am a bit freaked out by the whole dying process. Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete