Friday 20 November 2009

A Few Things. Peas, mostly.


Snowpeas are possibly the most satisfying vegetable to grow. Planted these as seeds less than a month ago and look at them go! Plus they are so pretty with their lovely curly fronds.


I've been sewing more cushions. Not for me this time, but an exciting, still undefined future project.









I have a new favorite cook book: Nigel Slater's Tender. It's all about growing and cooking your own veggies, a theme close to my heart, but is also just achingly beautiful both in photography and in words. He begins the book with a list of his favourite smells: Snow (yes, I believe it has a smell), dim sum, old books, cardamom, beeswax, moss, warm flapjacks, a freshly snapped runner bean, a roasting chicken, a fleeting whiff of white narcissi on a freezing winter's day.

The man speaks straight to my heat. Expect lots of yummy recipes from this in the future.


Add Image

2 comments:

  1. Funny about the doily cushions! Great minds think alike. The blue you have dyed it is very pretty! You were lucky the thread held up- I tried just to get the stain out of a very old doily the other day and it disintegrated with age! Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Well, guess what? After writing on here that I wanted doilies, on the weekend I hit the jackpot and I found NINETEEN of them from a junk shop! I was so excited. They were all sitting under dishes and vases and things, and I ran around messing up the shop to get them all. 50c each! They are mostly embroidered linen ones with crocheted edges, seemingly quite old. Might post something about them on my blog eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, doilies are the ultimate bargain vintage item, and so easy to find. I think I am going to start a collection of vintage doilies, and one of saucers without their tea cups. They're the only antiques I can afford!

    I only dyed the more robust doilies, and they held up to the dye surprisingly well. I just bought some red dye and might make some Christmas decorations out of some...

    ReplyDelete