Wednesday 9 December 2009

Christmas Treats


Bauble from Nature Bulbs via Cup of Jo

I've been thinking about goodies for Christmas hampers. Every year I make one for my parents, one for Tom's parents and one for any other visiting family/friends whom I can't afford to buy a worthy present for. Although, once I've purchased supplies and spent hours sterilizing, stirring, baking and spreading on Christmas eve I'm not sure that I don't wish I'd just bought them a damn $50 teapot...but still, I think that they appreciate the time and thought. They'd better appreciate the time and thought.

I've already bought some cute little baskets second-hand and cheapy, and have made rather a lengthy list of inclusions. I like to try to mix it up every year - last year it was lemon butter, chilli jam, chocolates and something else no doubt tasty. This year I'm thinking:

  • Tomato Kasundi (from the Charmaine Solomon Complete Asian Cookbook - so so good)
  • Peppermint Bark. This was honestly the best thing about Christmas last year.
  • Home made Chai. Buy some leaf tea and chuck in spices. Easy peasy.
  • Orangettes. I tried making these earlier in the year and they didn't quite candify, but I'm willing to give it another go.

I also think it's a good idea to print out pretty recipe cards for each item so the receiver can make their own when they run out. Genius, no? I also like to make pretty little calligraphed lables and tie everything up with lace. Everything I make somehow includes lace. Seriously, everything. I love lace. I think I will request to be bound up in layers and layers of lace when I die, like a Victorian mummie.

2 comments:

  1. I was planning on gifting boxes of gingerbread this year, but you have inspired me to try a hamper. That raspberry curd looks to DIE for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That raspberry curd is delisssious. Is curd generally eaten with a spoon, straight up? Or is that gluttonous and gross? I was taking my only cues from Little Miss Muffet.

    ReplyDelete